Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday Post Script

I have just learned that March is National Nutrition Month.  This is wonderful news as I am hoping to detail  my journey to health and wellness on Tenacious Tuesdays, but could not think of a word beginning with the letter "T" to title the day.  (If anyone has a suggestion, I would be glad to give it consideration.)

Here is a link to the American Dietetic Association http://www.eatright.org/ and I think this is a wonderful place to get started, especially for the daily recommended allowances for each age group, but do not totally agree with the promotion or need for animal products in the diet.  This, I believe is tied to promoting the dairy and meat industries and is a can of worms to be kept closed until further notice.

Please note that this is a personal preference.  I have noticed improvement in the health of myself and my children when we keep animal products to a minimum in our diets, and this is what works best for us.  We do have the occasional meal that includes meat for the protein - as opposed to legumes, nuts, whole grains or seeds, and cheese and yogurt are still heavily used - although I have switched to cheese made with vegetable rennet, with no complaints.  Rice milk is our drink of choice other than water, and I have found that it works well in cooking and baking.

So...all this to introduce National Nutrition Month.  By March 31st, may we all be closer to our goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment