Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Technology and Other Conveniences

Who would think that something we lived without 20 years ago would be so indispensable now?  After having been without an internet connection at home for the past 2 weeks, I can now say that I no longer take it for granted.  As much as I would like to live off the grid, and with a small carbon footprint, there is something to be said for technology.  It does provide a sense of connection, which in my particular case these last couple of weeks has been sorely missed.

In the area of other conveniences, I would like to give thought to the area of location, as I was thinking about it today while on the bus from Newtown.  Living without a vehicle is purely dependent on location.  In a large urban area such as Wellington, NZ there is little need for a personal vehicle except when travel to the outskirts is warranted, and at such time one can be rented for the necessary occasion.  In Lynchburg, VA however, I think a vehicle might be almost absolutely necessary as the shops and such are so spread out.  Public transportation - or the lack of it, is clearly the key item to this equation.  Although not ever having used the Lynchburg transit system, I am afraid that I cannot give a clear and unbiased opinion of the subject.  Wellington's buses seem to go when they are needed and stop at most places that are close to where one needs to be.  And if one is not in too big of a hurry, there is always the tried, true and more healthy mode of transportation that is already connected to a body...that of two feet and legs!

Now that I think about it, there is another convenience to be enjoyed here in Wellington, that of the Mt. Victoria - Wellington Town Belt.  The children and I were up on the hill yesterday, and what a hill it is!  It reminded me of the hill behind the house where The Artistic Pixel Man and I used to live while he was working in Latrobe, PA.  We were in the basement of an old house at the base of a mountain with a quarry at the top.  The side of the hill seemed to go straight up.  Now that I think of it, I think that hill in Ligonier was a bit more steep...I don't remember getting to the top.

So nice to have trails so near our front door, and wonderful to be back online.  I may be physically far away from those I love and miss, but at least now I am mentally connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment